POSITION: Specialty Market Manager
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Sales & Marketing
LOCATION: Eastern Pennsylvania
The Specialty Market Manager is a vital leadership position within the company, possessing (having) the responsibility, authority, and passion to champion all company initiatives to significantly grow the Specialty business segment. The Specialty business segment includes engineered resins, agricultural chemicals, specialty chemicals, and pet food. (Specialty in essence covers all non-coffee and non-food and beverage). Projected 2011 revenue for this segment is approximately $25 million. Packaging applications include both dry and liquid products. Primary package format sold into these markets are pre-made bags and discreet flat pouches and standup pouches using high-barrier multi-layer material structures. Market Manager will play a critical role in developing the Specialty business, a market which will strategically diversify the company's sales portfolio and one in which the Company intends to become a major player. The position will report into the Vice President, Sales & Marketing. Currently there are three Sales Representatives dedicated full-time to Specialty and two Sales Representatives that dedicate a portion of their time to Specialty, all reporting into the Director of Sales. Experience in developing successful sales and marketing strategies within the customized packaging industry is required and critical and immediate objectives for the role include;
· Developing new business for Specialty flexible packaging materials and equipment. Main area of focus will be to expand the sales of existing product offerings into new and existing markets within the Specialty business portfolio.
· Exploring opportunities in new market segments that are deemed to be suitable for product offerings and consistent with the overall system strategy.
· Developing creative strategies around selling a packaging system including packaging materials, packaging machinery, technology and innovation, and service. The Market Manager will work in conjunction with the Packaging Equipment Sales team as it relates to equipment opportunities. This will be done by either following through on material opportunities where they have developed equipment prospects or utilizing Packaging Equipment Team as part of the process for systems opportunities.
· Strategically and tactically accountable for the nationwide development and growth of the Specialty business within assigned target markets.
· Provide leadership, direction, and support to Sales in selling into Specialty markets. Actively call on targeted accounts within assigned markets in order to identify and develop systems sales opportunities.
· Develop and implement creative market penetration strategies for assigned areas of responsibilities.
· As Team Leader, partner with other company resources, to identify and qualify potential new target customers and/or markets with either existing technology and/or promotion of new technologies.
· Be the key stakeholder within the company to drive package innovation in Specialty.
· Provide creative ideas to the organization, as well as prospects/customers to ensure successful growth of the assigned markets.
· Develop knowledge of customers/markets needs to help identify new niches for the company to pursue.
· Monitor competitive activity in the Specialty business sector, identifying ways of staying ahead of the competition and being seen as the number one vendor by customers.
· In concert with Marketing Coordinator, develop advertising and sales promotional literature to create a consistent and effective marketing message within the Specialty Market
· Be an internal and external ambassador for the company; a professional who is constantly on the lookout for opportunities to showcase the Company.
· Undergraduate degree with ideally an MBA or relevant post graduate degree.
· A minimum of five to seven (5-7) years' customer facing sales experience with significant prior experience managing the development of new customers within the packaging industry.
· An individual with a proven track record of success in business development in targeted market segments, as well as the ability to seek out opportunities in additional market sectors.
· Proven ability to create a persuasive sales strategy that has led to sales growth.
· A strong relationship developer who has both existing relationships that will be incremental business as well as the ability to develop new relationships that will lead to new sales.
· Deep knowledge of flexible packaging materials and package formats commonly used in the Specialty market segments with a clear understanding of the competitors and their products.
· Prior field team management and development required. Able to analyze individual and team progress though sales and call metrics to ensure sales targets are met.
· A strong relationship developer who has team building skills and can work effectively in cross functional groups.
· A high level of energy, confidence and a positive, "can do" attitude. A persuasive manager who can influence across levels and boundaries.
· Ability to creatively and resourcefully respond to business problems and opportunities.
· Direct and straight forward style.